Saturday, April 20, 2013

The less glamorous of days

Today I worked a five hour shift at the train-themed children's resteraunt I currently waitress at. To sum my day up in one word, it would have to be sticky. Sticky everything. Sticky tables, sticky plates, sticky babies with applesauce all of over themselves, sticky counters, sticky cups. Everything was covered in a coat of sticky. Children running around and playing with our interactive train sets made it worse when they touched everything with sticky, ice cream coated hands. But I am not complaining. I love my job and the kids I get to interact with [and the tips their parents leave] although I must say, getting in the shower and scrubbing off the coat of stickiness had to be the best feeling in the world. 
Having a job and the responsibility that comes with it is a great feeling.  I love not having to nag my parents for gas money and being able to shop without worrying about how I will pay my parents back.  I love making kids smile and allowing parents a chance to relax in a safe, monitored area. I love knowing that I can choose where I want to go to college because I will help pay for it. Working is definitely rewarding, but I do hope that I will move on from waitressing after high school and onto bigger and better things. 
xxx
A [sticky] child playing on our train set, which includes three trains that move at the push of a button
The train that brings out food to those who sit at the counter. To make it move, we use a remote control [a device that I am far from mastering. I somehow manage derail the train at least once a shift] 

No comments:

Post a Comment