Sunday, February 2, 2014

Stuck

Do you ever feel like you are stuck in a rut? 
Recently, I've felt like I've been stuck in the deepest, muddiest, stickiest rut one can imagine. 
   I wake up every morning with next to no motivation to go to school. I feel too misanthropic for my own good. It often seems like the majority of the people in my school have opinions on feminism that clash with mine, even though I strongly stand my moral ground. So sometimes I speak out.
   When I do, I feel like I often come across as defensive, condescending, or "too outspoken." It's times like these where I feel like Public Enemy for having my own opinions, for defending things I truly care about. I know I shouldn't feel that way, but one of my biggest fears is burning bridges with people I genuinely like. When those friends of mine hold views that I see as wrong, it makes me upset and the cycle starts over.
   I don't know what to do about my problem. Do I sit down, shut up, and let everyone else carry on with their misogynistic, close-minded ways? Or do I speak up and defend myself, taking the backlash with a grain of salt?              
   It seems that either course of action I take, I'm left crying myself to sleep, questioning my self-worth, wondering if this was how the greatest activists in history felt in their teenage years. I dread going to school to face insulting and sexist attitudes. I dream of a day where I won't have to be the odd one out for believing in true equality. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but when my peers' actions and words make me question the morality of my generation, I feel stuck again. Stuck in a big 'ol rut. 
xxx

If you ever feel the same way or want to talk to me about feminism [or want to talk to me about anything at all] feel free to contact me. I thrive on discussion and education and I totally want to start some sort of virtual "club" about gender equality. Let me know if you are interested or if you just want to talk in general. 
email
twitter
instagram
facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment